Sunday, April 17, 2011

Days 1&2


Yesterday I went to Wolcott to try the Eagle. The weather was cold and windy and after 2 hours I called it quits and went for a drive up to State bridge to see how the Colorado River looked. the water was high and fast and very muddy. Not so good for fishing. I decided to follow the river downstream through Bond, McCoy, Burns, and Dotsero. It was a nice drive. I found some good spots to try later in the summer when the runoff ends, some good campsites too.
Today I drove up to Basalt and up to Ruedi Reservoir. This is a pic of  Bud-E and I at the Frying Pan River below the dam. Today was a cold day up there. it was also very crowded and the fishing was slow.
I moved down river from the crowds and tryed a variety of bugs with no success. I tied on a Woolly Bugger and on the first cast I felt a strike, but I missed it. I casted back to the same spot, another strike. Again I casted to the same spot, BAM, FISH ON!!!.  After a short fight I reeled in a beautiful Brown Trout
I caught 2 more in the same area. all were around 10-12 inches long. After a Couple of hours I decided to move down river to the middle section of the river.
The middle section of the Frying Pan was also crowded so I decided to go get lunch and go home

5 comments:

  1. Nice fish, Charlie! Nice camera!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is great. I like the picture of the crowds. It really shows what you meant by crowded. I'm excited to fish the Frying Pan with you this summer so be sure to scout some great locations.

    ReplyDelete