Saturday, April 30, 2011

Day 4&5

The other day after work the weather was nice, I decided to go fishing. I went to Lion's Pond at the rest area here in Rifle. It is a nice spot that is close to home. I walked to the far side of the pond with my dog, I noticed some fish rising to flys on the surface. I casted a caddis pattern out near where I saw the fish rise. I caught a bluegill. Bluegill are a small warm water fish. Not as regal as a trout but a fish none the less. I kept catching these bluegill all afternoon. the only problem is they don't put up a fight like a trout, they kind of play dead until they get released, kind of boring if you ask me. The next time I go to Lions Pond. I will bring my camera and get some pictures.




Today I went back to the "Pan". It was a great day for fishing. The weather was lousy, but the fishing was awesome. Started out slow, I has a couple of fish on the line but I lost them. As the day progressed the fishing became catching. It was a slay fest. While I was setting up in the parking area I met a guy picking up litter around the river. His name is Pete, he told me he is a guide at a shop out of Aspen. We talked about the river for a while, he went to his truck and came back with a fly box. He gave me some of his flys he likes to use on the Pan. What a cool guy. I thanked him for the flys and he left. The upper parts of the river were hit or miss fishing. I moved around alot the first fish of the day was a small brownie. no pic. left the camera in the truck. I caught the brownie on a pattern called a Roy's emerger, named for Roy Palm, a local legend on the Pan. I fished the upper river for a few hours until I got too cold. Jumped in the truck and headed down river.

I found a spot on the lower river, nobody was there so I scouted it out. The fish were rising everywhere I looked. I kept the Roy's emerger tied on and added a jujube midge to trail behind the dry fly. I had a fish on the first cast. It was a small rainbow trout. about 10'' long




I kept fishing this spot for a couple of hours and caught some more fish. most of them shook loose before I could land them (I blame barbless hooks) but I got a few of them to the net. The fishing finally slowed down around 4:00. I was cold and the dog was too, so I called it a day and headed back home. Maybe the Roaring Fork River tomorrow.

3 comments:

  1. It's great that you're getting to fish so much. Sounds like you moved to the right place.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You had a couple of good days! And, I want to see a picture of the flies that Pete gave you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. how cool to meet a guide. Good person to know, I'm sure. thanks for posting the pics.

    ReplyDelete