Sunday, March 4, 2012

Back at it again.

got one
Hola amigos, I know its been a while since I rapped at you, but I have been busy and not fishing enough. I am back at it now that the weather is warming up and spring time is coming.
Last week I was able to get out and fish the Roaring Fork River in Glenwood Springs,
I started out the day at a spot near the airport, I set up with a three nymph rig. a egg as the lead fly, a stone-fly pattern below that and a jujube midge as the third fly. The fishing was good, I caught a brownie within five minutes. I worked the area below the airport and got some more bites and caught a white fish, always cool to catch a true native species of fish. 
(the rainbow trout and brown trout were introduced to Colorado in the late 1800s.)
While fishing the airport run I ran out of tippet material, I went to the fly shop in Glenwood and picked up some tippet and some fly's, I talked to Tom at the fly shop, he told me of another spot in town to try. I worked the same rig at the new spot near the park in town and caught a nice rainbow, as I was reeling it in the fish did a spectacular tail walk across the river and shook loose. after that I got all tangled up and decided to call it a day.

Today, 
I decided to stay close to home, I went to the river park in Silt. I got to the river and there was still Ice on the shore line. I walked along the river for a while until the ice started to melt. after about a half hour the river started to warm up and melt the ice. I was fishing with a three nymph rig again, a stone-fly as a lead, a san juan worm in the middle and a chartreuse  midge as the trailer. I worked the south channel for about a hour and had no luck in that area, so I moved to the main channel to the north. I started up stream and worked back to the parking area. I found some nice water along the bank and caught a nice brownie. I caught it on a chartreuse midge pattern I tied myself.
nice brownie 
 I had some more bites while working this area. If I was a better fisherman I would have caught many more.  I will be better about keeping this blog updated and hopefully I have some good story's to tell this season.

Many thanks to Marisa Vines for her excellent photographs

2 comments: